Vegan - The plant Based Diet
Veganism is the way of eating by a group of people who choose to avoid animal products for health benefits, environmental and ethical reasons. It is called Vegan. It is a plant based diet. They are basically vegetarians who avoids eating meat, fish and poultry. They also make sure that they do not consume animal products like egg, dairy products, honey and also avoid animal based articles like bags or purses or dresses or cosmetics made out of the animals skin, fur, wool, wax, fat.
A basic vegan diet includes fruits, vegetables, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, cold pressed oils and legumes. Variety of food is absolutely important for a nutritionally sound vegan meal.
- Promotes weight loss
- Reduces the risk of various illness like cholesterol, heart disease, type 2 diabetes as the diet is low in saturated fat
- Improves digestion, absorption and excretion
- Packed with lot of nutrients such vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Mind alertness and self control
- Encourage variety to the plate
The vegan diet may have positive effect to our body but it may also have some nutritional deficiencies which will not be prominent.
- It is expensive and it can be inconvenient.
- May miss out on vital nutrients- calcium, vitamin B12 ,folate, vitamin D, iron,zinc
- Prone to nutritional deficiencies
- Not easy to follow. Proper understanding of veganism is necessary
- Limited eat out options
Want to be a Vegan? Get started with these simple guidelines
- Consider regular master health check up and physician consultation
- Consult a qualified nutritionist who will help to plan a nutrient dense meal with variety
- Learn to cook different vegan recipes
- Implement the habit of reading labels carefully in packed foods . Helps to identify animal based products
- Make a gradual transition to vegan. Check if your body is getting adapted and you are feeling comfortable with the transition.
Researches show that there is gradual benefits in health and ecological aspects in following a plant-based diet. But make sure whether you are making the right choice for you.